The most famous Japanese massage therapy is Shiatsu. Shiatsu commonly known as acupressure is a Japanese word meaning ‘finger pressure’. The Japanese massage therapist applies pressure with the help of his thumbs, fingers and palm to specific areas of the client’s body which are also known as pressure points. The pressure thus created helps in correcting the imbalances in the body.
Japanese massage involves massage techniques like tapping, squeezing, rubbing, and applied pressure that are applied along the meridians to release energy blockages.
Application process of Shiatsu:
There is in fact a very different technique in which this Japanese healing is done.
Shiatsu massage therapists heal the whole body as well as specific problem areas by ensuring both emotional and physical wellbeing. The aim is to treat the body by balancing the flow of Ki (life energy), applying pressure to obstructed or weak areas. This relieves symptoms and resolves conditions, improving the patient’s strength and energy.
For example when an individual goes for the treatment headache, it is viewed as more than just one disease. It is seen as an obstruction to Ki.
Chi relates to the overall energy process of an individuals body, their particular circumstances and lifestyle. Treatment therefore, will be applied to the body as a whole and not just to the area where pain is being experienced.
- Shiatsu massage is very renowned for healing anxiety, nausea and vomiting.
- It also develops blood circulation and enhances the immune system.
- It is effective in curing diarrhea, indigestion, constipation, and other disorders of the gastrointestinal tract; menstrual and menopausal problems; chronic pain; migraine; arthritis; toothache; anxiety; and depression. It is also believed to cure muscular pain or tension, especially neck and back pain. It also appears to have soothing effects and may alleviate insomnia. In general we can say that Shiatsu cures a person both physically and mentally.
Benefits of Japanese massage therapy:
Below mentioned are the benefits of Shiatsu Japanese massage therapy.
- Relieves stress and tension
- Reduces blood pressure
- Reduces anxiety
- Increases mental and spiritual awareness
- Treats many specific disorders and illnesses
- Can help reduce labor pains
- Increases energy
- Maintains regular menstrual patterns.
- Back pain
- Headaches and migraines
- Whiplash injuries and neck stiffness
- Joint pain and reduced mobility
- Digestive problems
- Asthmatic symptoms
- Sports injuries
Precautions regarding Shiatsu Japanese Massage:
There are some general precautions that a Shiatsu massager or a person getting Shiatsu treatment should keep in mind. These are
- Shiatsu increases blood flow therefore this therapy is not recommended to a person having bleeding problem, heart disease, or cancer.
- Massage therapy should always be used with caution in those with osteoporosis, fresh wounds or scar tissue, bone fractures, or inflammation.
- Pressure should not be applied in the hands of people suffering from epilepsy or high blood pressure.
- Shiatsu is not considered effective in the treatment of fever, burns, and infectious diseases.
- Shiatsu should not be performed right after a meal.